Old Home, Superhome

22/03/2010 at 3:31 pm | Posted in Home Energy saving | Leave a comment

Open Day at Balsall Heath’s ‘Zero Carbon House’

About 500 people visited this  ‘house for the future’ designed by local architect John Christophers on Sunday  28th March. It stores heat and rainwater, harvests solar light and heat, makes its own electricity and exports more power than it uses. It is unique for a family house built in 1840 in an ordinary street. No fuel bills. Tours, explanations advice for all. For more information and to book future  open days, please see the house’s website at http://zerocarbonhousebirmingham.org.uk/

On 28 March there was  an open day at a ‘40% house’, which is also in Balsall Heath. This house shows that ordinary energy saving measures, if used in combination, can reduce the fuel requirement of any house by 60%, leaving it a 40% house.


Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.